Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lieben Sie Brahms?

In the '80s, I took a beginning German class at the Goethe-Institut in San Francisco. For real-life practice the teacher handed out little Langenscheidt "Sprach-illustrierte" mini-magazines containing short simple stories, news photos with descriptive captions, simple word games. And on the back of each issue were some cartoons. This one (from the April-June, 1986 issue) cracked me up; and a quarter of a century later, it still makes me laugh when I come across it in my bookcase.

Hopefully you will enjoy it, too! Even if you don't know much German, I think you'll get the jokes.

(There is no credit info in the magazine: The cartoon is signed "Augustin" and it's ©Verlag Horst Deike.)


(click on the image to enlarge it)

No comments:

Post a Comment